Candle Tea is regarded by many area residents and visitors as the opening event of the Christmas season. About 10,000 people attend our Candle Tea each year. Organized by the Women’s Fellowship of Home Moravian, it is held annually during the season of Advent in the 1769 Single Brothers’ House on Salem Square. All proceeds from Candle Tea are distributed to non-profit agencies, locally and internationally.
Guests are greeted by hosts in early Moravian dress and are guided through Candle Tea. Thank you for continuing to make this outreach possible. We hope you’ll join us at this year’s Candle Tea to:
- Share a meaningful tradition with family and friends.
- Sing Christmas carols, accompanied by our 1797 Tannenberg organ.
- See how we make the beeswax candles used in our Christmas Eve candlelight lovefeasts.
- Enjoy a warm cup of Moravian coffee and a piece of sugar cake.
- Hear what life was like for those who founded and lived in Salem.
- View the putz (miniature replica) of early Salem.
- Listen to the Christmas story as you view our lighted Nativity putz.
Guests are admitted to Candle Tea in groups of 35 approximately every 15 minutes. Except for school and scout groups (see below), reservations are not available.
General Admission: Adults – $5.00, Children (12 & under) – $1.00