Candle Tea 2021
The Candle Tea ON the Square 2021 committee is moving ahead with plans for a fantastic one day event to start the Advent season!
What? – Candle Tea is moving to Salem Square for Advent 2021. COVID is preventing the traditional tea in the Single Brothers’ House so a modified version of the 2020 Drive-By is in the works. Visitors will stroll among the trees on Salem Square to take in the sights, sounds, and smells of a traditional tea. Drawing on the rooms of the SBH used for Candle Tea, stations will offer visitors a look into Moravian traditions of Advent.
When? – Saturday, December 4th, noon to 4pm; Rain date – Saturday, December 11th, noon to 4pm. Some volunteers’ times will be earlier or later than the times set for the event.
Who? – We need all types of volunteers to help us create the best experience for this version of Candle Tea. The type of volunteers needed include:
- Captains to oversee each station from start to finish. Last year this was done by a central committee but this year we would like a captain for each station. Knowing what is needed for each station, the CT committee is here to help the captains locate props, tables, and any other items needed.
- people to setup on Saturday morning,
- people to take down on Saturday afternoon,
- Narrators (speakers) to man stations and talk about the station and what it means to Moravians, Christians, and Advent. Scripts to be used will include those used during the traditional teas but with no time frame to stick to, the volunteer is free to discuss additional information about their station so far as it is accurate and authentic.
- Volunteers to sell specific items at the stations including Moravian stars, candles and sugar cake (tickets will be sold in a central location so no money will be handled by the stations.)
- Strollers – to act as support for the stations
- Litter control – because visitors will be strolling around Salem Square, volunteers will be needed to monitor trash cans and litter.
How to sign up to help?
- If you have questions about any slots, please email or call Kae Roberts, 704-408-2671 or email@example.com.
- SignUpGenius will be used to recruit volunteers for the positions needed. Look for a link to the website in upcoming in This Week At Home emails and Home to Home next month. Don’t like SignUpGenius, give Kae a call and she can get you into a spot! A description of duties for the volunteer duties will be in SignUpGenius. Also a mailing will be sent to all CT volunteers from 2019 and well as 2020 with the link.
Also, scroll down this page to see a short video with an overview of the traditional Candle Tea.
COVID 19 Pandemic Protocols: Candle Tea events will follow current local and state guidelines as issued by the CDC, state of North Carolina and local health officials.
Special Candle Tea Activities
I Spy Candle Tea: A game for children of all ages. Come to Old Salem and find the historic Moravian buildings and features around the Square. After the pandemic is over, attend Candle Tea and experience the sights, sounds and scents of a traditional Moravian Christmas.
Candle Tea proceeds benefit those in need locally and globally.
Please consider making a donation now to Candle Tea by clicking here or on the Candle Tea logo.
See a list of organizations and causes supported by Candle Tea.
This video, which captures the spirit of Candle Tea, is narrated by Home Church Pastor Ginny Tobiassen and was produced by Home Church member Britton Sear.