Beloved community of Home Moravian Church:
God is with us as we begin another week of worship, service, and life together in this unsettling time.
In a letter on Wednesday, March 18, the Provincial Elders Conference strongly encouraged all Southern Province congregations to suspend on-site worship and activities through the end of April. Our staff and boards accept that this recommendation is in the best interest of the congregation and all our neighbors throughout the state and nation.
As many of you know, the Salem Congregation has adjusted plans for the Sunrise Service, which will be livestream and radio broadcast only, with no public gathering. The service will be live--streamed from the Home Church sanctuary with only the worship personnel present, much as we streamed our online Home Church service last week. It is our hope to include, in the live-streaming, an outdoor camera feed showing the sunrise. In addition, Rev. Chaz Snider, chair of the Salem Congregation, encourages everyone to post a shot of the sunrise from their homes with the hashtag #Moraviansunrise. We look forward to seeing the sun through your eyes!
Our worship staff is currently making plans to livestream our Holy Week services. We will keep you informed as those plans unfold. Because of the need to limit contact with one another, this year we will not use members of the congregation as readers. We will miss hearing your voices; but we hope you will find a blessing in the services as you watch from your homes.
We had a large audience for our online worship last Sunday, and many have written with kind and grateful words about the service. We also had a good response to our online gatherings. We look forward to similar opportunities next week, as listed below (the only change is to the schedule for a Wednesday community gathering):
- Children’s Storytime 1:00 p.m. M-F with Margaret. Click here to join.
- Community Check-in Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. Gather (via Zoom*) online or by phone for an informal conversation and continued Lenten reflection. Click here to join by video or call 1 (929) 205-6099 to join by phone (Meeting ID: 9057820119#)
- Sunday Morning Godly Play: Join us at 9:30 (via Zoom) online or by phone for the weekly Godly Play story. Click here to join by video or call 1 (929) 205-6099 (Meeting ID: 9057820119#)
- Sunday Morning Worship: Join us at 10:00 a.m. via livestream or on the radio broadcast – AM 600 (W-S), FM 101.5 (W-S, High Point) and FM 104.5 (Burlington).
- Sunday Group Discussion: Immediately following worship (approx. 11:15 a.m.), gather (via Zoom*) online or by phone for continued learning and prayer together. Click here to join by video or call 1 (929) 205-6099 (Meeting ID: 9057820119#)
Last week I felt like everything I love to do had been “on hold” by a malevolent telephone operator. You know how that goes: There you sit, waiting and waiting, nothing happening and no end in sight. But somehow, while I was on hold, Spring arrived anyway. Have you noticed? The grass is green, birds are singing everywhere, and last night, after the rain, the air was awash with the sweet scent of flowering trees. Life moves on, and God is present within every moment. Our Lamb has conquered! Let us follow him.
“Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and through grace gave us eternal comfort and good hope, comfort your hearts and strengthen them in every good work and word.” 2 Thessalonians 16-17