During social distancing...
During this time of social distancing, Home's children's programming is as follows. Please contact Margaret Norris (firstname.lastname@example.org) for zoom information
- 9:30 am: Godly Play (video available on Home's website afterwards)
- 11:15am-noon: Elementary Sunday School, Who is Jesus?
- Moravian Minis, 4:45 pm: Old Salem Exploratorium and Distant Thunder, a Moravian Revolutionary War story
- Children/Youth Choirs, 5:15 pm: rehearsing Elijah the Musical
Mon. - Fri.
- Storytime with Margaret, 1 p.m. (below)
During this time of social distancing, Home's youth programming is as follows. Please contact Margaret Norris (email@example.com) for zoom information.
- Sundays: Youth gathering, 2:00 pm
- Wednesdays: Children/Youth Choirs, 5:15 pm: rehearsing Elijah the Musical
Home Church members, out of care for our children and their families, take very seriously our vow during their baptism to care for them and nurture them as they grow in our Christian faith community.
Volunteers of all ages, in addition to our pastors and staff, take significant roles in the children’s Christian education and other programs, including Children's Choir.
Sunday Children's Programming
Church Service, Sanctuary, 10 a.m.
- The congregation gathers for worship weekly. Children are invited to the entire service or to the first portion. (See Godly Play below.) Worship bags are available in the narthex for young worship attendees.
- A nursery is available for your infant through 3-year-old beginning at 9:30 a.m. for the 10:00 a.m. worship service. It also is available for adults attending Sunday School (11:15 a.m.-12:00 noon) until 12:15 p.m. An usher can direct you to the Nursery. Download a booklet with Nursery information and suggestions.
Godly Play, 10:20-11:00 a.m.
- After the liturgy and scripture readings, children ages 4 and up are welcome to stay in the sanctuary continue their worship in Godly Play, an experiential worship model based on the Montessori Method.
Comenius Corridor, 11:00-11:15 a.m.
- Children may check out a library book, returning it to check out another.
Sunday School, 11:15-12:00 noon
- In Adventures with the Good Shepherd, participants enjoy exploring one Bible story over several weeks, using different creative styles (art, drama, games, music, and cooking) to delve into the story.
- 4:45-5:15 pm: 1st-3rd grade Choir, 4th-7th grade Moravian Minis
- 5:15-5:45 pm: 4th-7th grade Choir, 1st-3rd grade Moravian Minis
- Children participate in worship leadership by singing at designated times.
- Children experience Moravian heritage through hands-on activities in and around the church as well as in Old Salem.
Moravian Minis is a short period of time spread over many days on Wednesdays for children to experience Moravian practices (such as making lovefeast coffee and candles), HMC spaces and places (the attic chimes, the clock, the cellar), and Old Salem (the Boys’ School, the Coffee Pot, the Flour Box Café, the Old Salem Potter’s Quarters).
Now it’s YOUR turn to add your ideas to this list. If you grew up at HMC, what Moravian-based activities did you most enjoy?
Or, for all of us, what do you think our children would wonder about or like to learn about?
Please send your ideas to Margaret Norris (firstname.lastname@example.org). Thanks!
Moravian Mini: Visiting Boys' School renovation.